Site launches are a special time at Beaconfire. We are especially proud this month to announce the launch of a new website and blog for AFL-CIO.
AFL-CIO’s new sites showcase an inclusive movement that puts the voices of working families’ front and center. The new design is more visual than its text-heavy predecessor allowing AFL-CIO’s content and calls to action the opportunity to shine.
The redesign was a result of a year-long collaboration between Beaconfire and AFL-CIO teams. Beaconfire led the Discovery, IA, and Creative phases and then led Development with AFL-CIO’s tech team taking on about half of the implementation work. The site was deployed on the eZ Publish CMS platform.
Highlights of the new site include:
- Streamlined navigation and improved search functions help visitors find content more efficiently
- A new Action Center offers a one-stop source for supporting workers, finding local events, contacting Congress, signing petitions and mobilizing through social media
- The updated AFL-CIO Now blog allows users to comment and share via Facebook and Twitter, highlights “most popular” features and aggregates user-generated content from across the movement.
- En Español, a robust and important resource for the Spanish-speaking community, is now more prominent and has expanded content
- New sections that spotlight younger workers and the union movement’s partnerships with low-wage and immigrant communities
- Seamless integration of popular features from the previous site such as CEO PayWatch, coverage of working family issues, and the comprehensive Your Rights at Work (in English and Spanish).
The co-development effort between the Beaconfire & AFL-CIO tech teams worked beautifully with the tech leads on both sides doing a fantastic job with overall management against schedule and budget.
Jared Schwartz, Director, Digital Strategies, AFL-CIO, says, “The organization and labor movement now has a modern, innovative online face that it can be proud of. Thank you all so much for guiding the AFL-CIO through the redesign and congratulations to all the amazing staff at Beaconfire who helped make this happen.”
Site launches are a special time at Beaconfire, because not only do we fulfill our commitment to our clients, but also we feel a sense of sharing in their cause and their mission. We definitely feel that way with this one.